Tuesday, May 20, 2014

EATS: Stockholm Fisk

For 2014's Mother's Day, we took mom to Stockholm Fisk, one of her favorite restaurants since our stay here in Stockholm.

As we were perusing their interesting menu, we got greeted by a complementary basket of bread and butter.


I got the white asparagus with French goat cheese and Iberico Berotta. White asparagus is a rarity in Europe, and is grown only for a short period of time. I have tried white asparagus before, and I did not enjoy it. I don't enjoy asparagus in general - white or green. 


Impressively, the white asparagus in this meal tasted so much better than the first ones I've tried. They were tender and complemented the goats cheese. The addition of the ham was an excellent touch to the meal.

On the flip side, my mom and sister tried the authentic toast Skagen, which is essentially a piece of toast with fresh prawns smothered with dill and mayonnaise on top. My dad had the moules / mussels. I have tried samplings of all our appetizers, and all were very delicious.

Onto mains. I had the "grown up" version of the fish and chips (by grown up, I mean it's not from the kid's menu). Needless to say, the presentation was so cute! The fries were served in a mini version of the baskets you use for the deep-fryer. Also, the dish was served with curry remoulade and guacamole. 


By itself, the fish tasted quite plain. When combined with the curry sauce, the meal was more interesting. The remoulade turned the flat and plain flavor of the fish into an Indian, citron-y, enjoyable main course. Fries are fries, therefore it was good. A bit disappointed with my main... I hope that I stuck with my gut and chose the mackerel, but that's for next time.

My parents got the platter of assorted seafoods from the seasonal menu, with fresh seafood such as crab, fresh prawns, oysters, lobster and caviar. This was also served with sliced toasted bread.

This is only one side of this humongous plate of the sea!
For the first time in my life, I tried lobster. It was quite hard work actually to take off the meat, but it was great. I also enjoyed the slices of salmon served on the platter on bread, mixed with a tad of mayonnaise, caviar and some shredded onion. Delightful!

For dessert, I just had a plain old scoop of vanilla ice cream with almonds, serving as a nice little finishing touch to the meal.

Today was filled with trying out new different wonders of the sea. Lobster, mussels, toast skagen. These new experiences and firsts will be unforgettable, and more are surely to come!

****
Like THE TEEN TRAVELLER on Facebook!

Connect With Euan |  Instagram - Twitter

Read More EATS!

0 comments:

Post a Comment